Wrongful Death Lawyer Van Nuys
Wrongful Death Lawyers You Can Trust
It is tragic to lose a family member or a loved one unexpectedly. It is harder when the death occurred because of an entity or another person’s negligence. The wrongful death lawyers at the Law Offices of Gary K. Walch are here to help you understand your legal options. We understand the emotional trauma you and your loved ones may be experiencing.
You should get in touch with a qualified wrongful death lawyer Van Nuys immediately to get answers to your questions and pursue compensation and justice from the people that were responsible for the passing away of your loved one. Wrongful death is said to take place due to the wrongful act or negligence of another person.
The deceased, had they lived, would have had grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. However, because of unrelenting circumstances, the surviving family members now have grounds for a wrongful death claim.
Types of Wrongful Death
There are several different scenarios that can give rise to a wrongful death claim. Few of the more common ones include:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Hit and run accidents
- Defective products
- Rideshare accidents
- Fall, trip, and or slip accidents
- Medical malpractice
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim in Van Nuys
California Code of Civil Procedure Section 377.60 lists down the people that can bring forth a wrongful death claim. Pursuant to this section, the following parties may file a wrongful death lawsuit:
- Surviving spouse of the deceased if they were married at the time of death
- Surviving domestic partner of the deceased
- Surviving children of the deceased
- People entitled to the estate of property of the deceased as if the deceased did not have a Will
- Putative spouse of the deceased
- Children of the deceased’s putative spouse
- Parents or stepchildren of the deceased
- Personal representative of the deceased
- Minor residing with the deceased for at least 180 days in the deceased’s home. The minor should have been dependent on the deceased for at least 50% of their support.
It can get confusing to determine if you can file a lawsuit or not. If you are unsure, you should get in touch with a renowned wrongful death lawyer Van Nuys today. Your attorney will be able to explain whether you have a viable wrongful death claim or not.
Recoverable Damages Following a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Van Nuys
Every wrongful death lawsuit is unique in nature. This means that the types of recoverable damages and their value can significantly differ from one case to the other. You should be able recover both economic and noneconomic damages depending on the facts of the case. In certain situations, exemplary damages or punitive damages may be recovered as well.
Objectively calculable losses are included in economic damages, such as:
- Burial and funeral costs
- Medical bills incurred from the time of the injury to the decedent’s death
- Financial support that would have been contributed by the deceased towards their family had they lived
- Loss of gifts or benefits that would have been provided by the decedent to his or her heirs
- Compensation for the household services that would have been provided by the deceased
Noneconomic damages refer to intangible losses, such as loss of support, society, love, affection, companionship and comfort.
What to Expect During Your Initial Consultation?
Wrongful death attorneys are usually compassionate, friendly and polite. They understand the pain you are going through and will do their best to put you at ease. The attorneys will ask you detailed questions to understand your unique situation. They will try to determine if you have grounds for a successful claim and the best way to proceed.
You should expect questions like the following during your first consultation:
- How did your loved one pass away?
- How are you related to the deceased?
- Did the decedent receive medical treatment between the final injury and death?
Wrongful Death Lawyer Van Nuys
Van Nuys wrongful death cases can be worth millinos of dollars when handled by Walch Law. Let our four decades of experience and near perfect track record be some of the reasons you hire us to handle your case. We are so sorry for your loss and know the importance a large settlement check can mean for you and your family. We are ready to get started working on a winning case for you– get in touch with Robert adn Gary Walch now to set up your obligation free consulation today. We would love to help you! 1-844-999-5342
- Practice Areas
- Personal Injury
- Brain Injury
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Wrongful Death
- Pedestrian Accident