The first thing you need to do if you are involved in a car crash is to ensure that you and your co-passengers are unharmed. Once you are sure of everyone’s safety, you need to gather your wits after the terrifying ordeal that you have been through, and take the following steps:
- Get Medical Help
The immediate shock and trauma of being involved in an accident might make you feel that you are all right, especially if there are no visible or superficial injuries. But an internal injury or concussion could resurface later, causing much discomfort and pain.
Getting medical attention not only ensures your physical well-being but also helps in legal and insurance proceedings later. Make sure to obtain the medical records of your injuries, if any.
- Call Your Insurance Company Representative
After getting medical assistance for your injuries, you must contact your insurance company to report your accident. This is a vital stage in filing an insurance claim for the damages, and you must make sure that you follow the right protocol to prevent any delays or denials later.
- First, review your policy document to go through the conditions for coverage and points of exclusion in your insurance cover. Be prepared for several questions you will need to answer and the detailed paperwork you will need to fill out.
- Do not fill out forms or provide any written statement until you fully understand your coverage as per your insurance policy. If you have any doubts regarding your policy and coverage, contact a lawyer to discuss your situation.
- Keep a detailed record of all your phone calls, emails, and other forms of communications with the insurance company representatives, along with the names, dates, and designations of the people that you talk to.
- Do not try to hide any facts or information from the insurance company. At the same time, do not blindly accept any assessment of your losses by the insurance company representative. Be wary of the fact that they are a business, and as an insurance provider they will try to minimize their losses.
- Document All the Details
Starting from the accident scene, try to note down all the details you can observe about the accident and your injuries. Take pictures or videos of everything including the accident scene, the damage to the vehicles involved in the accident, and your visible injuries.
Use your cell phone camera if there is no regular digital camera available. This documented proof, including photos and videos, will come in very handy for your insurance claim as well as for your personal injury case if you decide to pursue one after consulting a lawyer.
- Keep a Record of All Expenses Related to Your Accident
Accidents and related injuries and damages can cause financial disruption and strain. Sometimes, the complicated claim process can be time-consuming, forcing you to incur expenses out of your pocket.
It is essential to keep a detailed record of all such expenses and safely preserve all the receipts and bills. These will be useful for both your insurance claim and in the event of filing a lawsuit.
- Seek Legal Counsel from an Experienced Attorney
Do not fill out any form or sign any paperwork until you fully understand all the implications. The best way to protect your legal interests is to retain a personal injury attorney who can guide you in a proper manner.
Find the Right Southern California Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney to Help with Your Claim
You will need an accomplished and experienced motor vehicle accident attorney to fight on your behalf and ensure that you recover the best possible claim settlement from your insurance company. Get in touch with an experienced attorney at Walch Law right now by calling at (844) 999-5342, or contact us online for a free case consultation.
- Los Angeles Hernia Mesh Lawsuit– How Much is Yours Worth?
- Types of Beverly Hills Wrongful Death Accidents
- Burns from Electric Vehicle Batteries Can Be Life-Threatening
- Personal Injuries Can Happen on the Ski Slopes Even If You Are an Excellent Skier
- Slipping on Grease Spills in a Riverside Restaurant Can Cause a Serious Back Injury
- Los Angeles Hotel Slip and Fall Accidents
- Pasadena Nursing Home Wrongful Death from Neglect Lawsuit
- Abuse and Neglect in California Nursing Homes
- California Nursing Home Slip and Fall Leading to Serious Injury
- Different Types of Van Nuys TBI